Thursday, February 3, 2011

Advertisements

     Where should I begin with this ad? It is extremely vulgar. It is obviously relating to the length of a man's penis. The fine print states " Fill your desire with something long, juicy, and flame grilled.... Yearn for more after you taste the mind blowing...." This burger king ad is relating to sex and sexual acts to try to sell a sandwich. The woman pictured is blond and has on bright red lipstick, which is a sort of sexual fantasy for men, this is only heightened because her mouth is wide open. This blatantly obvious sex ad is extreme and there are much better ways the sandwich could be advertised.



     This is a famous poster that was placed all around our country during WWII. It was meant to keep men from getting STD's so they would be able to fight for our country healthy. (At the bottom it says "You can't beat the Axis if you get VD." And while all of this is true, why does it have to be a woman that is spreading the disease? Men spread the disease just as fast as women do. It makes men think that women are the only one's with this disease, and while it was for a good cause it is still presented in a way that puts women down.

     I think that advertisements, whether new or old, still do not represent women in a way that they should be represented. It is not right that women are put in positions that make them look like sexual deviants, such as both of the ads above. They both make present women in a way that shows that all they are concerned with is having sex. This is not something that should still be happening in our country.




     This ad is very empowering to women. It is one of many that Nike is currently showing. Some of the others show wide shoulders, tomboy knees, and thunder thighs. The text says things like "My butt is big and round like the letter C and ten thousand lunges have made it rounder not smaller...And those who might scorn it are invited to kiss it. Just do it." I really like all of these advertisements because they show women, and even men, that women are built a certain way. And no amount of exercise can change their build. Exercise will tone their body, but not change it. I like that it makes women be proud of what they have, and helps them to embrace it.

7 comments:

  1. @Samantha Adams that first Burger King AD is awful! They shouldn't have even been able to publish that anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Thought the same thing, I couldn't believe it when I saw it. It only got worse when I read the bottom part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Meredith and Samantha Adams.. It is disgusting to know what is allowed to be seen to the public eye. There is no other explanation on why this act and advirtisements continue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Samantha Adams - When I was looking for advertisements for this assignment I saw the Burger King ad and was in disbelief! I couldn't even bring myself to use it! I am glad you did! And we did somewhat similar ads for part two of this assignment which show women embracing what they have and being proud of their bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Samantha- That Burger King add is ridiculous!!!! How did you find that. I can't believe they even ran this add because it's so obvious what they are trying to say.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Samantha- I can not beleive the Burger King ad! I had to do a double take when I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was in shock as well. I just did a search for sexist magazine ads, and eventually found this one. I couldn't believe how obvious it was.

    @Kate Rissanen - I really liked the last ad about women embracing their bodies. I have always thought that women are a certain way and working out wont change them into something completely different.

    ReplyDelete