Thursday, February 10, 2011

Feminists High Standards are Always Razing the Bra: LEARNING MODULE 4

Feminists High Standards are Always Razing the Bra: LEARNING MODULE 4:

Examples from the Male Privelege Checklist:
1.If a man were to go into a job interview competing with a woman, the man would have the upper hand.
-I dont think this is neccessarily true anymore, there are too many women who are in charge of things in the corporate world now and women can be just as driven and qualified as men to be in charge. What if a man were to go into a daycare job interview, would he have the upper hand over a woman? No. In some cases, men would have the upper hand over women, but I don't think it happens that often anymore.

2.If a man has children and pursues a career, no one will think he is selfish for staying at home.
-I think this can be true for men and women, but men ARE supposed to work to support the family because lets face it, dad's just can't do ALL the things moms can do when it comes to children. I think it is respectable for either parent who works, or if both of them work and take care of the children. Parenting is teamwork and it takes both of them to support and watch over the family, that's not selfish.

3. My wardrobe and grooming are relatively cheap and consume little time.
-I found this one to be funny, because I know a lot of guys whos grooming is NOT cheap, and does consume time. Of course it's a longer process for girls to get ready than it is guys, but that doesn't mean guys don't like to primp just as much as girls do.

My Checklist
-Because I am white, racial slurs will not be made against me.
-Because I am white, I won't be the first suspect of a crime.
-Because I am white, I will have a better advantage in the corporate world.
-Because I am white, I will do better in politics.
-Because I am white, I can go anywhere I please.

These are all things you "can do" because of your skin color. A lot of racial things have gotten better, but there is still that unwritten rule that everyone always goes by. I am not neccessarily saying that I agree that only white people can do these things, it is pathetic, but it is common knowledge that if a black kid and a white kid were in a store and someone stole a candy bar, people would point fingers at the black kid first. It's not fair and I think that a lot of "priveleges" are dumb, this is America and you can do whatever you please as long as you are abiding by the law, no matter your skin color.

1 comment:

  1. Part One:
    Male Privilege Checklist
    1.I can be confident that my co-workers won’t think I got my job because of my sex - even though that might be true.
    -This privilige made me look at my own privilige in a different way because it made me think about how sometimes people assume women get hired for certain jobs because of their appearance. This is not true for every situation though because there have been more situations for me that I have been interviewed for a job by a women and they are more critical on their own gender. Also when a women is interviewing another women she focuses more on the experience that person has to offer as opposed to how pretty they are. This made me realize that although women don't realize it, if they are attractive and they are being interviewed for a job by a male then they do have an advantage over a male competitor.
    2.If I have children and pursue a career, no one will think I’m selfish for not staying at home.
    -In my opinion this privilege is not really true for men anymore because in our modern society more men are starting to be stay at home dads. Also the majority of women are employed as well and a lot of the time making just as much or maybe even more then their husbands;times have changed. This privilege made me realize though that not being a stay at home mom would make me feel selfish, but I don't think that should be considered a gender thing because modern men feel the same guilt every day.
    3.As a child, chances are I was encouraged to be more active and outgoing than my sisters.
    -This privilege doesn't really apply in my family at all. I don't have any brother's, but when I was little I was always encouraged to be just as active as my boy cousins and I was. This made me realize though that when I was younger my teachers didn't really expect the girls to be as active as the boys. Maybe it's different when you have brother's though because girls are considered more fragile then boys by their parents. The reason that me and my sister's have probably never experienced this is because we're a house full of girls and my mom has never raised us to be fragile.
    Part Two:
    1. Because i'm a woman, I don't have to pay for the bill when on a date.
    2. Because i'm a woman, most of the time a guy always opens the door for me.
    3. Because i'm a woman, I have a better chance of getting into a bar or party then a man my age does.
    4. Because i'm a woman, I will always have custody of my kids because the court tends to favor the woman, unless there is a valid reason for them not to.
    5. Because i'm a woman, I can be a stay at home mom and not be considered lazy for being unemployed.
    -Although most people say that they don't see themselves as more or less priviliged compared to the opposite gender, race, or class the truth is that we all do this at some point. I mean I realize i'm priviliged when I go on a first date and the guy pays for the bill and gets the door for me, it proves to me that chivalry isn't dead yet.
    Society as a whole is who controls these priviliges based on gender, race, and class because we all view people a certain way once we know whether they are a boy or girl, black or white, rich or poor. I mean I know if I walk out of a department store at the same time as a black male or female and the alarm goes off then they are more likely to stop the black person then me because of their race. I'm not saying that I agree with this at all, because I could've stolen something just as easily as them, but that's just how it is. Although we have come a long way, I strongly believe modern people still judge others for all the wrong reasons.

    ReplyDelete